Fresh & Light Summer Coleslaw
This recipe for our Fresh and Light Summer Coleslaw, brings all that we love about summertime together in one beautiful salad. It’s easy to throw together, busting with healthy veggies and herbs, and practically screams summer barbecues and picnics with friends! And best of all, we swap out the heavy mayo base of a traditional slaw, with a lighter citrus and olive oil blend, giving this slaw a flavour so bold and bright, that you don’t miss the mayo at all! Healthy veggies, fresh herbs, loads of happy summer flavours, all that’s missing now is a barbecue and friends to share it with!
- 1 small head of green cabbage, chopped into
- thin strips
- 1 small head of red cabbage, chopped into
- thin strips
- 3 carrots, grated, (use a blend of orange, white and purple carrots for the most vibrant and fun slaw!)
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cut into thin matchsticks
- 3 or 4 celery spears, cut into thin matchsticks
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 T. honey
- 2 tsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 3 T. olive oil
- 2 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper
1. Add the cabbage, carrots, apples, and celery to a large bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine the lemon zest and juice, honey, mustard, curry powder, olive oil, vinegar, fresh mint leaves, and salt and pepper, and whisk until well combined. (Or, add all the dressing ingredients to a mason jar with a lid and shake until well combined.)
3. Pour the dressing over the slaw in the large bowl, and toss to coat.
4. Taste slaw and adjust salt if needed.