Vegan Christmas Wassail French Toast
By: Kara Parnell
Christmas French Toast! Just saying those words all together is delicious! Combining the long-loved tradition of English Christmas wassail with the tender, golden-brown goodness of a traditional French toast, is a beautiful and tasty way to bring some happy Christmas feels and flavours to your breakfast table. This recipe is quick and easy to whip up and manages to be both warm, comforting and tasty, as well as a healthy and filling way to start your day.
Photo Credit: thecolorfulkitchen.com
Prep time: 00:15
Cook time: 00:20
- 10-12 slices of your favourite sourdough bread
- 1 1/4 C. coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/4 C. apple juice
- 1/2 C. fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 4 T. ground flaxseed meal
- 2 T. orange zest
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla essence
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Cardamom
- To make the custard, whisk together all the ingredients, (except the bread, of course), in a shallow pan until well combined.
- Heat a skillet or a frying pan over medium heat, and add a small amount of coconut oil to the pan.
- In batches, submerge the slices of bread completely in the custard, then transfer to the prepared pan.
- Cook French toast for 3-5 minutes, or until the underside is golden brown, then flip over and cook until the other side is golden brown, and the bread bounces back a little when you poke it with your finger.
- Serve hot with your favourite topping. We like pure maple syrup, marmalade, or fresh berries and a dusting of icing sugar.