Vegan Corn Chowder
Prep time: 00:20
Cook time: 00:25
By: Kara Parnell
Sometimes life just calls for a comforting bowl of soup, a hunk of crusty bread, and a long conversation around the table with family, to bring a little peace and warmth at the end of a tough day. This soup is comforting, hearty and healthy, with flavours all at once fresh and vibrant, and deep and satisfying. So put on your fuzziest socks, wrap up in a blanket, and cozy up with a bowl of steaming hot Vegan Corn Chowder.
Photo Source: midwestfoodieblog.com
- 3 C. corn kernels, cut off of fresh sweet corn cobs, (frozen corn works well too!)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 large potatoes, chopped
- 4 C. veggie broth
- 1 C. coconut milk, plus 1 T. reserved for garnish
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 4 tsp. fresh coriander, divided
- juice of 1 lime, divided
- 1 radish, sliced very thinly then julienne slices
- Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add garlic, onion, capsicum, and carrots. Cook until veggies soften and begin to caramelize.
- Add corn, potatoes, veggie broth, coconut milk, turmeric, smoked paprika, cumin, 2 tsp. coriander, and juice of 1/2 lime.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer until potatoes are soft, about 10-14 minutes.
- Remove 1/2 of the soup from the pot and blend in a blender until smooth. (Remember that hot liquid expands in the blender, so be careful not to fill it too full so it doesn't explode out of the top! Blend in batches if needed.)
- Pour the blended soup back in the pot and stir.
- To serve, pour soup into individual bowls, squeeze a little lime juice on top, make a swirl of coconut milk using a spoon, and sprinkle on a few coriander leaves and a pinch of the radishes.
Try to chop all the veggies to about the same size. This helps insure that everything cooks at the same rate. For this recipe, a 1 in. chop works well.