Vegan Crepes With Berry Compote
By: Kara Parnell
The pancake may very well be the world's most perfect food!
It's soft and warm, a blank canvas for any topping, savoury or sweet, that you can dream up. Almost every culture has its own version of a pancake, steeped in their cultural culinary traditions.
A pancake breakfast is one of my very favourite ways to greet the day. I love buttermilk pancakes, dripping with pure maple syrup. I can't get enough of puffy German pancakes, with a squeeze of lemon and a dusting of powdered sugar. Australia has Pikelets, China has scallion pancakes, the Greek love their Tiganites, but with all the fabulous pancake offerings the world has to give, I've got to give the pancake prize to the country who loves and reveres their food tradition over perhaps any other. Let's hear it for the French crepe!
Crepes are fantastic with savoury toppings like a rich mushroom sauce, and tasty with a sweet topping, like the very traditional Honey and bananas, but for a perfect vegan breakfast, these Vegan Crepes with Berry Compote are a delicious choice!
Photo Source: https://www.mightymrs.com
Prep time: 00:10
Cook time: 00:25
- 2 C. soy or almond milk
- 2 T. ground flax seed
- 6 T. water
- 2 T. coconut oil, melted
- 3 tsp. honey
- 1 1/2 C. plain flour, or white wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 C. strawberries, hulled, diced
- 2 C. raspberries
- 2 tsp. sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 C. fresh mint leaves, chopped
- For the crepes: In a large bowl, combine the milk, flaxseed, water, coconut oil, and honey.
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
- Add the vanilla.
- Whisk until the batter is smooth and mostly without lumps.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan on the stove over med-high heat. Oil Pan.
- Using a measuring cup, and about 1/2 C. batter to the centre of the pan, then use the handle of the pan to swirl the batter slowly around in the pan until it creates a thin layer, covering the bottom of the pan.
- Cook until the crepe is set, and you are able to lift the edge of the crepe with a fork or a crepe spatula.
- Flip the crepe over, and cook for another minute or so, until the bottom is cooked through.
- For the Berry Compote: Add the strawberries, raspberries, sugar, lime juice, and mint leaves to a small saucepan.
- Heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to boil.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture begins to thicken into a sticky compote, and coat the sides of the pan.
- Serve crepes with compote, and more fresh mint leaves to garnish.