Butternut Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Prep time: 00:10
Cook time: 00:25
By: Kara Parnell
I was going to say something about how our recipe for Butternut Pumpkin Mac and Cheese is so easy, healthy and delicious, that it will change your life forever, but...I decided that would be too CHEESY.
Bad puns aside, this recipe is definitely one you'll want on hand for a quick and easy way to get a healthy dinner on the table on a busy weeknight, and for an absolutely genius way to convince your kids to eat their veggies. Butternut pumpkin is sweet and creamy and even looks a bit like melted cheese, making it the perfect addition to macaroni and cheese.
Butternut pumpkin. SO good. SO good for you! Give Butternut Pumpkin Mac and Cheese a try!
- 1 small, (or half a large), butternut pumpkin, peeled, seeded and chopped into 2 in. chunks
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 1 C. coconut milk
- 2 C. chicken broth, or veggie broth
- 1 C. sharp cheddar, or vegan cheese
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 1 box macaroni noodles, (any small noodle will work)
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the chopped Butternut Pumpkin.
- Cook pumpkin, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften and turn golden brown. Season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Add the coconut milk and chicken broth, and bring to a gentle boil. Turn down heat to medium low, and continue to cook until pumpkin is very soft.
- While the pumpkin is cooking, bring a large pot of water to the boil, and cook noodles as directed on the box.
- Remove pan from the heat. Use a potato masher, or an immersion blender, to mash and mix the pumpkin, right in the pot, with the coconut milk and broth until smooth.
- Return pot to medium-low heat, and add the spices and the cheese. Stir until melted and well combined.
To make this Mac and Cheese vegan, simply swap out the veggie broth and the vegan cheese for the chicken broth and dairy cheese.