Slow Cooker Apple Butter
By: Kara Parnell
Apple butter is like eating a hug!
Honestly, with those wonderful warming spices like cinnamon and cloves, this sweet apple spread is comfort food at its finest. It's delicious spread on toast or a bagel, crackers or a scone, and makes a tasty fruit dip. And best of all, it couldn't be more simple to make - Just toss all the ingredients in your slow cooker, relax and read a book or take a nap or go for a walk, and before you know it, your house will smell incredible, and you'll never experience toast in the same way again!
Photo Credit: bakingamoment.com
Prep time: 00:15
Cook time: 07:00
- 10-12 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped, (Any variety will do. We like to use a mix of different tart and sweet varieties.)
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 1/2 C. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Cloves
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, and stir to coat all apples evenly.
- Cook on low for about 4 or 5 hours, or until the apples are soft.
- Using an immersion blender, blitz the apples until smooth, (or allow to cool slightly, then mix in batches in a standard blender).
- Continue to cook for 1 to 2 more hours in slow cooker until the apple butter is thick and spreadable.
- Transfer to glass jars with lids, or storage container of your choice. Keeps well in the fridge for about a week, and freezes well.
With those wonderful warming spices like cinnamon and cloves, this sweet, apple spread is