6 Simple Slow Cooker Soups
This article is an ode to the crockpot, the shining star of our parents’ days and let’s be honest, the true hero of ours. They’ve come a long way over the years but the idea has remained the same; making dinnertime easy, with the added bonus of filling the home with delicious smells on walking into the room. For both efficiency and flavour there’s really nothing that equates to simmering your food slowly as you go about your day, and as the nights get longer and the weather cools further, there’s really been no better time to pull out the crockpot and whip up a meal for the family to enjoy. If you're looking for a reason to get you started, here are six simple slow cooker soups that are sure to inspire any tastebuds.
Our soups are so simple, you’ll be surprised that you never thought of them yourself. All you have to do is gather the ingredients, put them in your slow cooker on the lowest setting for the day, and whiz them together with an immersion blender (but only if you like)! Discover our favourite flavour combinations below.
Curried Pumpkin & Coconut Soup
- 1 pumpkin, peeled & cubed
- 1 onion, sauteed if preferred
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1L broth of choice (we love bone broth for added health benefits)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Blend when the pumpkin is tender and the flavours are hearty.
Hearty Leek & Potato Soup
- 500g potatoes, peeled and diced (leaving the peel will add extra nutrients)
- 350g sliced fresh leeks, white and light green parts only, you can sautee these to enhance the flavour
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for serving
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground white or black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream, for serving
Cook all ingredients, except for the sour cream. Blend the broth and stir in the sour cream to serve.
Carrot & Coriander Soup
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped and sauteed if preferred
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 600g carrots peeled, ends trimmed and chopped roughly
- 1 whole, peeled garlic clove
- 1 rounded tsp ground coriander
- Plenty of cracked black pepper
- 400-600 ml your favourite stock
- 2-3 heaped tbsp chopped fresh coriander, to serve
Place all the ingredients, except the fresh herbs in the slow cooker. When cooked, blend, add the herbs and serve.
Green Pea Soup with Coconut
- 1 teaspoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions (1 bunch, white and green parts), sauteed in coconut oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 400ml can full-fat coconut milk, (shake, then pour)
- 1kg frozen green peas
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup basil, plus more to serve
- 1/2 cup coriander, plus more to serve
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
Reserve some of the fresh herbs to serve, otherwise cook and blend as usual.
French Onion Soup
- 3 pounds yellow onions, peeled, sliced, and cut into quarter-moons - we recommend sauteeing these first to release the best flavour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, but veggie broth can be added
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brandy (optional)
Throw everything in the slow cooker and go! No blending needed, but for the full French Onion Soup experience, we recommend serving the soup in smaller bowls, topping with a slice of chunk of baguette and a healthy serve of cheese, before putting it under the grill until it all melts together.
Kitchen Sink Soup (Your Favourite Chunky Veg)
- 2L vegetable stock
- Bunch fresh herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Literally any veggies that need using, cut into chunks!
Cook on slow for 8 hours, and we recommend you enjoy this one chunky with a thick slice of sourdough.