By: Kara Parnell
Bruschetta is light and healthy, quick and easy, and super versatile. It's perfect for an elegant hours d'oeuvre, a light lunch, or a lovely side with a pasta dinner.
Tomatoes are the star of this dish, so using beautiful locally grown, organic tomatoes, is the secret to really taking this recipe to the next level. Grocery store tomatoes, that have been stored in a box for weeks, and shipped for miles in the back of a truck, just don't compare to a locally grown tomato in texture, flavour, or nutrition.
If tomatoes are the star of this recipe, the fresh basil is undoubtedly the best supporting actor! Basil and tomatoes are best friends. I can't think of a flavour pairing more natural and perfect. In fact, did you know that if you plant basil alongside your tomato plants in your garden, it actually improves the flavour or the tomatoes? The fresh basil gives this recipe its distinct pungent freshness. Fresh herbs, especially basil, are incredible at elevating a simple recipe and making it truly memorable.
With just a handful of simple, fresh and beautiful ingredients, you can try this tasty recipe tonight!
Prep time: 00:15
- 1 Baguette, sliced
- 6 tomatoes, diced
- 12 leaves of fresh basil, chopped or torn into small pieces, (should be about 1/2 C.)
- 2 T. balsamic vinegar
- 6 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
- Place baguette slices on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil, and toast under a high broiler until golden brown.
- Cut the garlic clove in half, and rub each of the toasted baguette slices.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the tomatoes, fresh basil, balsamic vinegar, 4 T. olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- Use immediately, or cover the bowl and let sit for 20 minutes to an hour for flavours to marry and intensify.
- Just before serving, top each of the baguette slices with a couple of tablespoons of the tomato mixture.