French Onion Soup
By: Kara Parnell
French Onion Soup is the Audrey Hepburn of soups. Well, she is actually Belgian, not French, but you know what I mean! Like Audrey, this soup is classy, timeless, and refined.
French onion soup is hard to beat for it's intensely umami flavour...deep, hearty and satisfying. It's a labor of love to slowly caramelize the onions, but it's worth every minute to have this satisfying classic on your table to wow your friends and family. Topped with a cheesy, toasty crouton, this soup is the perfect, classic French meal!
Photo Credit: deliciouseveryday.com
Prep time: 00:10
Cook time: 01:00
- 6 onions, sliced thinly
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 C. red wine
- 4 1/2 C. bone broth, (veggie broth works well too, for a vegan option)
- 1/2 C. water
- a sprig of fresh Rosemary
- dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 slices of crusty bread
- 1 C. shredded Gruyere or Cheddar cheese, (or vegan cheese of choice)
- Add olive oil to a big soup pot, and heat over medium-low heat for one minute.
- Add the onions, dust with the sugar, (sugar helps with the caramelisation), add the salt, and let slowly cook for about 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent onions from burning, until onions are caramelised, and a deep golden brown.
- Pour in the red wine, turn up heat to medium high, and cook until the wine reduces by half, and the alcohol is cooked off.
- Make a bouquet garni with the Thyme, Basil, and bay leaf, by tying them up in a small piece of cheese cloth. (You can also just place them in the soup, and fish them out before serving.)
- Add the bone or veggie broth. Toss in the bouquet garni, and the mustard powder.
- Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Prepare crouton topper by placing the bread on a sheet pan, topping with Gruyere or vegan cheese of choice, and placing it under the broiler of your oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling and toasty.
To serve, spoon soup into individual bowls, and top with crouton. Yum!