Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Prep time: 00:20
Cook time: 01:05
By: Kara Parnell
Sweet potatoes are so versatile! They're incredibly roasted, turned into a healthier version of a french fry, added to curries or stews or salads. This recipe is another testament to the amazing versatility of the sweet potato! It's sweet, it's savoury, it's perfectly balanced and delicious. The maple syrup enhances the already sweet flavour of the sweet potato, the sage brings an earthy flavour, the orange zest brings brightness, and the pecans, toasty and tasty, bring a balance to the texture. And last but not least, my very favourite thing about this recipe...it will make your kitchen smell amazing! Give it a try!
Photo Credit: minimalistbaker.com
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 1/2 C. pure maple syrup, plus 1/4 C. divided
- 1 clove garlic, grated finely
- 1/2 tsp. ground sage or rosemary
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 T. orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- 65 g. chopped walnuts or pecans
- olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Wash sweet potatoes, wrap individually in foil, and place on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack.
- Roast for 45 minutes, or until a knife goes easily into the sweet potato.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the foil, cut each one in half length-wise, and scoop the filling from each half into a bowl, leaving about 1/4 inch, careful not to poke through the peel.
- Add the maple syrup, garlic, sage, cayenne, orange zest, and salt and pepper to the bowl, and blend together until smooth and well combined.
- Scoop the sweet potato mixture back into the sweet potato shells, and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Top with a sprinkle of pecans, and a drizzle of olive oil and maple syrup.
- Place sweet stuffed sweet potatoes back in the oven for 20 minutes, or until the filling is golden brown and bubbling.