Homemade Veggie Broth - Made With Kitchen Scraps!
By: Kara Parnell
Some recipes are fun to make, because the ingredient list is full of exciting ingredients like black truffle oil, caviar from Herring in the Baltic Sea, or 1,000 day Gouda, made with Yak's milk from the Himalayas. This recipe for Homemade Veggie Broth, however, is fun to make because it's made with ingredients you never really knew were ingredients at all. In this recipe, the star ingredients are those veggie scraps you've been tossing in your compost pile!
Next time you chop up an onion, peel a carrot or slice up some celery or some mushrooms, instead of tossing the stems and leftover bits, throw them in a large zip-lock freezer bag. When the bag is full, pull it out of your freezer, and whip up a batch of this warm, healthy, tasty broth!
This broth makes the perfect, quick base for a favourite homemade soup. Try cooking rice in this veggie broth instead of water, for a major flavour and nutrition boost. It will store nicely in the fridge for up to a week, and for three months in the freezer.
Soups on! Enjoy!
Sources: itdoesn'ttastelikechicken.com, savorylotus.com
Photo Source: slimpickinskitchen.com
Prep time: 00:20
Cook time: 01:00
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 13 C. water
- small bunch of fresh thyme or rosemary
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt and a few grinds of fresh black pepper
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 2 Zucchini
- 3 Mushrooms
- add your veggie offcuts and clean scraps.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large stockpot. Add the onion and cook until translucent and soft. Add the garlic and cook until begins to brown.
- Add the water, and the rest of the ingredients to the pot. Let come to a boil.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, and let simmer for 1 hour. The broth will reduce some, and colour will intensify.
- Taste broth, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Strain out veggie peels and herbs by pouring the broth through a strainer placed over another large pot.
- Let broth cool, and put into storage containers, or use immediately.