Satay Tempeh Skewers
Servings: 3-4 per pack
Prep time: 00:05
Cook time: 00:10
By: Ben McKeown
I love my tempeh and I don't mind an easy quick dish that tastes great and is great for me. In particular, tempeh is a great source of protein, providing a whopping 15 grams in each 90 gram serving. It’s also an excellent source of micronutrients such as manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, and riboflavin. Plus, it contains calcium and iron, both of which are essential nutrients that can be hard to obtain on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
- 1 x 300gm Organic Mighty Bean Tempeh Original
- Sunflower or coconut oil for frying.
- 6 Bamboo Satay Sticks
- Coconut Teriyaki
- 1 lime or lemon
- Coriander to garnish.
- Satay Peanut Paste
- Cut the Tempeh into six equal fingers across the block.
- Cut each of these six fingers into cubes and thread onto sate sticks.
- Baste tempeh cubes with oil to avoid drying out while cooking.
- Place tempeh satay onto a hot BBQ plate or sandwich grill and cook and turn till braised on all sides, basting with oil if needed to avoid drying out the tempeh. Cook till golden brown on both sides.
- Place golden brown savoury satay tempeh sticks on serving dish.
- Sprinkle lashings of Coconut Teriyaki over the tempeh satay.
- Sprinkle the juice of a whole lime or half a lemon over the tempeh sate sticks and make sure all tempeh cubes are well coated by the combination of Coconut Teriyaki and lime/lemon.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and chilli to taste.
This recipe is ideal served on a bed of yellow rice and tomato salsa garnished with peanut satay sauce.
Add veggie on the side or make more skewers by having Zucchini, Capsicum, Squash, Onion etc also on the skewer and grilled.