Kale and Carrot Fried Rice with Almonds, Sultanas, Haloumi, and Lemon.
1 cup long grain rice
1 onion (100g)
2 cups Vegetable stock
2 kale leaves, large
1/4 cup Flaked almonds
1/2 tsp Paprika
100g Kenilworth haloumi
40ml Extra virgin olive oil
1. Prepare rice.
2. Rinse rice in a sieve under cold running water until the water runs clear. Add rice to a saucepan with the stock and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid, cook for 12-15 minutes until all the stock has been absorbed.
3. Meanwhile prepare the vegetables.
4. Remove the stem from the kale and discard, finely chop the kale and set aside. Grate the carrot and set aside. Finely chop the onion and crush the garlic.
5. Prepare the haloumi.
6. Slice haloumi into 0.5cm slices.
7. Cook the fried rice.
8. Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a non-stick fry pan on medium high heat and cook the haloumi for 1 minutes in either side until golden, remove from pan and set aside. Add 2 tbs oil to the same pan, reduce heat to medium and cook the onion for 3 minutes until softened, add the garlic and cook for a further 1 minute before adding in the carrot, kale, add the paprika and cook for 3-5 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the cooked rice, sultanas and half of the almonds to the pan with the vegetables and carefully toss to combine, check the seasoning and adjust if needed.
9. Serve. Divide the rice evenly among serving bowls and top with the haloumi slices, almonds and lemon wedges on the side.