Pico de Gallo
By: Kara Parnell
I don't have words enough to tell you how much I love Pico de Gallo.
I remember the first time my husband whipped up our first ever batch of Pico de Gallo. The kitchen was alive with the colours and aromas of authentic, fresh and healthy, Mexican food. The brightness of the lime juice, the unmistakable aroma of the coriander, the sweet, acidic smell of the tomatoes contrasting the sharp smell of the onions. Even before I tasted a single bite, I was already won over by the smells that filled my kitchen.
And then I tasted it.
I was smitten.
Pico de Gallo is such a beautiful balance of sweet and spicy, tart and savoury, herbaceous and salty. This simple salsa elevates ordinary nachos to a meal. It takes tacos to the next level. It is fantastic with scrambled eggs, or on toast with some slices of avocado.
If you're looking to add some serious flavour, nutrition, colour, vibrancy and fun to your daily meal routine, give this beautifully simple Pico de Gallo recipe a try.
Photo Credit: happykitchen.rocks
Prep time: 00:20
- 4 large tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno or chilli pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely diced
- 3/4 C. of chopped coriander
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Add tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno to a large bowl.
- Mix in lime juice and coriander.
- Add salt and pepper. Taste the Pico de Gallo. The salts job is to help bring out all the other flavours. If the flavours don't zing and pop, add a little more salt.
Flavours are more developed if you let it marinate for a few hours in the fridge before serving.