Tofu and Veggie Skewers with Thai Peanut Sauce
By: Kara Parnell
I'll never forget the first time I tasted Thai Peanut sauce. I was traveling in Amsterdam, and our hosts highly recommended a Thai restaurant, and insisted that we try the peanut sauce. I was a little wary. I was young, and up to that point in my life, my only experience with peanut butter, growing up in the US, was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Peanuts in savoury food seemed so strange. But, I was feeling adventurous, so I gave it a go. When I think of that first bite, words like transcendent and life-changing spring to mind. It was that good! As soon as I returned home, I tried and tried to recreate that wonderful peanut sauce. This recipe comes pretty close!
Our recipe for Tofu and Veggie Skewers with Thai Peanut sauce is so simple, and simply delicious! The peanut sauce just takes a couple minutes to whip up in your food processor, and I'm telling you friends, this sauce has got it all - salty, sweet, nutty, fresh and light, deep and umami, and a little hint of spice. Give it a try tonight, but be warned, once you try it, there's no turning back!
Photo Credit: cilantroandcitronella.com
Prep time: 00:10
Cook time: 00:30
- 1 350 g. package of firm tofu, cubed into 25 mm pieces
- 1 C. peanut butter
- 1/2 C. liquid aminos or soy sauce
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 T. grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 T. agave nectar
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tsp. water
- 1 red capsicum, chopped into 25 mm pieces
- 1 green capsicum, chopped into 25 mm pieces
- 10-12 button mushrooms, halved
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- Soak skewers in a bowl of water.
- To make the marinade: add the peanut butter, liquid aminos, lime juice, ginger, garlic, agave nectar, vinegar, oil, thyme, turmeric, cayenne, and water, in a food processor, and pulse until smooth. Set aside 1/2 C. to use as a dipping sauce later.
- Transfer the remaining marinade to a large bowl, and add the tofu and all the veggies. Stir in veggies until everything is coated in the marinade. Cover bowl, and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, to marinade.
- Assemble the skewers in any combination of tofu and veggies that you prefer. It can be fun to include kids with this step! (Be sure to dull the ends of the skewers, or use chopsticks for safety purposes.)
- Place the skewers on a hot grill or hot grill pan. Turn skewers every few minutes until all sides are golden brown.
- Serve with reserved marinade as a dipping sauce.