Kalamata Olive Spread on Toast with Tomatoes and Arugula
Prep time: 00:15
By: Kara Parnell
What fruit has been around since 8000 BC, has historically been used as a symbol of unity and wisdom, has long been used for its incredible health benefits, including decreasing the risk of heart disease and diabetes, can be used topically to promote healthy hair and skin, (in oil form, of course), and tastes incredible too? It's the olive! That's a fruit that we can really get behind, here at Fresh Box!
We love this simple recipe for Kalamata Olive Spread, because it is so quick and easy to make, and such a fun way to use this amazing fruit. Just a quick pulse in the food processor and you have an incredibly tasty, salty and satisfying spread, that makes an ordinary piece of toast simply extraordinary and refined. The tomato and arugula add the perfect contrast of flavour and texture for a perfect snack, lunch, or side. Try it today! We're positive you're going to love it! We've got 10,000 years of history, give or take, to back us up!
- 1 C. pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 T. olive oil, plus more to garnish
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- 1/4 C. chopped basil, plus more to garnish
- 1 tomato, sliced, or 10-12 small cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 C. arugula (Rocket)
- salt and pepper to finish
- Add olives, garlic, balsamic vinegar, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne, salt, and basil to a food processor, and pulse for one or two minutes.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then continue to process on low. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until the texture of the spread loosens.
- Serve on toasted, crusty bread. Top with fresh tomatoes and arugula, and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with basil. Finish with salt and pepper.